Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Urban Wetlands

Red Wing Blackbird
We hit a great little park for the second time this weekend for a single cache. Boardwalk (GC1892X) and Urban Wetlands (GCKKW2) are both located in the American Commerce Centre Nature Preserve, a small wetland in the shadow of an industrial park. The small park hosts an impressive amount of wildlife for the small footprint, and has just a single boardwalk cutting through from street-to-street. We stayed for a little longer than planned (about six times the quick grab the cache would have been) to watch the ducks, geese, red winged black birds, a crane, and a heron. Alas we were on our way to the
WWFM 3: Fanatic Fans! (GC19GKN) so I the D300 set-up with the 17-55mm f/2.8 lens – the exact opposite of the lens I should have carried for this park. The photo in this post was captured to the Detroit Zoo, and I'll have to visit the American Commerce Centre Nature Preserve again with both the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR and the 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lenses in the morning to see what I can capture. This is another one of those great finds through Geocaching though and the reason I bought the D200 with the 18-200mm lens. I just have to remember to bring it with me.

No comments: