Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My First Wherigo Tour Cartridge

Troy Historical Village Pano
Last night (and into this morning) I started work on the first Wherigo cartridge I've been planning to create. This cartridge was planned to give me a first experience at building one of these tours so I selected the city's historical village as the subject. Through the wealth of information on their web page, my best memories of the site, and a few of the photos I've shot and posted to Flickr, I was able to completely rough in the cartridge for the Troy Historical Village. The park only has nine buildings of note, so the cartridge has only the nine zones. Putting in those nine zones and basic information took about two-and-a-half hours with only about three crashes. The harder part was determining the best way to handle the activations and display. Ultimately the goal is that I'll record some audio so that the tour could run strictly audio only, perhaps for the blind, reading the text that would also be displayed on screen. Each screen would be accompanied by a single photo of the building (as Wherigo only supports one media asset per display or object) with the information about the building provided from the website. I have the text functioning with some placeholder images for two of the buildings, but the zones need serious work as the aerial photos within the builder application are not detailed enough for precise placement. I hope to load up the Colorado this weekend with the cartridge as it stands, take the GPSMap 60CSx and head over there with the MacBook (running Windows XP of course) to shoot new coordinates for each of the zones, test the cartridge as it stands, and shot some photos of the buildings. Once I'm happy with the way its working I'll attempt to set-up a meeting with the curator to get permission and input. If anyone is in the Metro Detroit area though and wants to play with this early test version, drop me a note and I'll send you the file.
Troy Historical Village Pano

No comments: